Washington Crossing the Delaware is a very famous painting. Its use in popular culture probably even led to a contest to pick the best George Washington impersonator to re-enact the crossing every year. Watch this video to find out more about the contest.
After watching the video, lets look at the paining. What do you see? Can you find any historical inconsistencies? You can find more information about the painting of Leutze's Washington Crossing the Delaware.
|Emanuel Leutze "Washington Crossing the Delaware "|
In the comment section of this post answer the following questions:
- In "Being George" why do you think portraying George Washington is so important to the contestants?
- Why did Leutze paint "Washington Crossing the Delaware"?
- Identify three historical inaccuracies in the painting.
- Should art be historically accurate? Explain why or why not.
Copy and paste the following frame for your comment:
- Portraying George Washington is important to the contestants because
- Leutze painted "Washington Crossing the Delaware" because
- Three historical inaccuracies in the painting are
- Yes, art should be historically accurate because/No, art should not be historically accurate because