Since 2015 the biggest musical, let alone history based musical has been Hamilton. Here is a clip from the Tony's.
What you may not know is there was a musical over the same time period that started on Broadway in 1969 and later became a movie in 1972. We are going to watch the movie and try to parse what is factual and what is changed for the medium (besides the congressman not randomly breaking into song.)
EQ: Why did the Declaration of Independence get written and who wrote it?
- Clip from Hamilton the Musical
- Vocabulary: declaration, independence, self-evident, equal, endowed, inalienable, liberty, derive
- Vocabulary: government, destructive, transient, accustomed, usurpations, assent, tyranny, justice
- 1776 the Musical
- What held up the Continental Congress from declaring independence from Britain?
- Who was the most ardent supporter of independence?
- How did slavery complicate declaring independence?