You will be researching both Christopher Columbus and Bartolomé de las Casas as their stories intersect through the 'discovery' and occupation of the Americas. As you learn about both of these men, how does this affect your feelings about Columbus Day being celebrated as a National Holiday?
- Monday, October 14 is Columbus Day, a national holiday.
- History Channel Columbus Day video
- Bartolomé de las Casas
- Christopher Columbus
- Extracts from the journal of Christopher Columbus
- Viggo Mortensen reads Bartolome de las Casas in Spanish and English
- A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus by Washington Irving
- A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus Wikipedia
- Columbus Day: The Oatmeal
- Are my sources reliable?
- Is there corroboration between my sources?
- Who is more believable as a storyteller?
- Since de las Casas is responsible for the only surviving journal information from Columbus' voyages, how reliable are those journals knowing de las Casas' prejudices?
- Which one, in your opinion, is most moral? Why?
- Is it appropriate for us to judge either Columbus or de las Casas today?
- Who would you choose as your 'Hero of History'?
- Create a poster for Columbus Day or de las Casas Day, whichever you believe is most deserving.
- On the poster draw and color a portrait of the person you choose.
- Identify the date to celebrate on the poster
- Include 3-5 facts explaining why the day should be celebrated.
- Chapter 2 of Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen. I have a copy you can use.
- Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. I have a copy if you wish to peruse it.
- Abolish Columbus Day Zinn Education Project