Imagine your shock when arrive at your destination, the city you plan to conquer only to realize that is the cleanest, most beautiful city you or any of your fellow conquistadors have ever experienced.
You arrived from one of the most powerful nations on earth, having sailed from one of the largest and most prosperous cities in Europe, only to find that it pales in comparison to the city you thought would be primitive, not unlike the people you plan to enslave.
How would you feel?
After reading the article on Common-Place.org, put yourself in the place of a Spanish conquistador seeing Tenotichlan for the first time. You will write about your experience, but not using words.
The pictures above are Aztec script symbols. They use the symbols to share their information. We do something similar with emojis. If using symbols to tell a story was good enough for the Aztecs, it is certainly good enough for you.
Your assignment is to write your story using emojis not words as a conquistador first entering Tenochtitlan.
- How did Tenochtitlan compare to European cities?
- Hernan Cortes video History Channel (3:07)
- Early Cities of the Americas Common-Place.org
- Aztec script symbols
- Vocabulary: conquistador, ambassador, whitewash
- What did the conquistadors see when they first entered Tenochtitlan?
- What were the European cities like?
- Emoji Project Handout
- Explain what the conquistadors saw when they first visited Tenochtitlan using emojis.
- What Happened to the Aztecs? History Channel (2:26)