Many of us know what it is like to have to move to a new place. In this activity we are going to find out what it was like for the Pilgrims to have to leave England for Holland and then ultimately for North America. Just as you had many difficult emotions with the changes you experienced, the Pilgrims had them as well. They also had even more difficulty and danger than most of us.
As we watch this video we will try to place ourselves in the shoes of the Pilgrms and try to identify how we might have felt if we too had to make a desperate crossing.
EQ: Why did the settlers on the Mayflower come to the Americas?
- Solicit stories from students who remember moving to Noel.
- How did you feel about moving?
- What were the first days like after you came to Noel?
- How are things now?
- The students will watch Desperate Crossing: The Untold Story of the Mayflower.
- Vocabulary: magistrate, manifest, seditious, theology, habeas corpus, tolerant
- Vocabulary: define, draw and use in a sentence
- Why the Separatists moved from England to Holland?
- Why the Separatists moved from Holland to the Americas?
- Why the other colonists moved from England to the Americas?
- How did they feel about moving?
- How were the first days after the move?
- Write journal entries as if they were a Pilgrim during the video. Answer the Explain questions while journaling.
Create a journal to transcribe the entries written during Desperate Crossing
Use India ink and dip pens to transcribe their entries from their notes to their created journals.
- Examine the Mayflower Compact, what does it create for the colonists?