Friday you will be traveling to Jefferson City to visit the state capitol and the now closed state penitentiary.
Let's first watch this video on the history of the building. If you pay attention you may be able to answer some of the tour guide's questions and look really smart!
Next is a video on the symbolic meanings of the Missouri state flag and the Missouri seal. In it you will learn about the colors of the flag and the reason we have grizzly bears all over the seal.
One of the most interesting parts of the capitol is the artwork that you find inside. We have two videos that talk about the artwork. While you are there you will tour the artwork with the guide and these videos will give you some insight into them.
Below is a photo of the Missouri State Penitentiary which is now closed. Listen carefully to the tour guides to learn the history of the site.
- Friday is the field trip.
- History of the Missouri Capitol (4:53)
- Stately Images: The Public Art of Missouri's State Capitol (28:14)
- The Missouri Mural (5:11)
- History of the Missouri Penitentiary (18:08)
- What is the purpose of the state capitol?
- What are some interesting facts about the capitol?
- What should we learn about the penitentiary?
- Ghost Adventures Missouri Penitentiary (Youtube)