St. Augustine is the oldest continuously inhabited European settlement in the continental borders of the US. Why did the Spanish set up colonies in what is now Florida? What were they looking for and did they find it? Why did France later set up a colony and what happened to it? These are the questions we will be answering with this lesson.
Essential Question: What countries colonized the land that is now Florida?
- Can you name which countries colonized the Americas?
- Anecdotes from my trip to St. Augustine over the summer.
- Conquest of America: Southeast video
- Vocabulary: colony, heretic, mutiny, Divine Right, sovereignty Think/Pair/Share Activity
- Why did France colonize Florida?
- What are some good vocabulary learning practices?
- Castillo de San Marcos the history of this fort is very interesting. What famous Native American leader's wife spent time in jail here? Another interesting fact is that the moat around the fort was dry until it was decided to create a field to play a popular game, which caused them to fill it with water. Can you guess the game?
- Videos from Castillo de San Marcos
- History of Florida Wikipedia