Francisco Coronado heard a story about the Cities of Cibola, the Seven Cities of Gold, from a friar named Estevan. He decided he would mount an expedition to find these cities. What did Coronado plan to do when he found these cities? Did he eventually find them? What controversy surrounds the expedition?
Essential Question: Why did Coronado explore the southwest part of North America?
- Students will define the vocabulary word using their own words on worksheet
- Conquest of America: Southwest video (44:51) Youtube video
- Was Coronado suitably punished for his role in the death of the 'Turk'?
- Do you think Coronado was a hero or villain?
- Discussion Questions Worksheet Whole group discussion