Friday, November 04, 2022

The Girl from Ipanema, Bossa Nova and Brazil

The Girl from Ipanema is probably the second most recorded pop song of all time, behind The Beatles' Yesterday. It is a type of Jazz called the Bossa nova, and helped make that genre known worldwide in the 1960's. 

Here is Astrud Gilberto singing the song in a live recording:


I love a good story, and I fell into this one a few years ago. As I was looking for more jazz to listen to I came across the story of The Girl from Ipanema. This BBC produced documentary gives us a good look not only into Bossa nova, but into the popular culture of Brazil. I hope you enjoy learning about this amazing musical art form as much as I have.


        
EQ:
  • Why is Bossa nova important to Brazilian popular culture?
Engage:
Explore:
Explain:
  • What is Bossa nova?
  • Why was Astrud Gilberto chosen to sing the song?
  • How important is the Bossa nova to Brazilian popular culture?
Evaluate:

No comments: