The Girl from Ipanema is probably the second most recorded pop song of all time, behind The Beatles' Yesterday. It is a type of Jazz called the Bossa nova, and helped make that genre known worldwide in the 1960's.
I love a good story, and I fell into this one a few years ago. As I was looking for more jazz to listen to I came across the story of The Girl from Ipanema. This BBC produced documentary gives us a good look not only into Bossa nova, but into the popular culture of Brazil. I hope you enjoy learning about this amazing musical art form as much as I have.
- Why is Bossa nova important to Brazilian popular culture?
- The Girl from Ipanema recorded live (3:01)
- Vocabulary: Bossa Nova, Pop Culture, documentary, bohemian, jazz
- BBC Documentary The Girl from Ipanema (58:33)
- What is Bossa nova?
- Why was Astrud Gilberto chosen to sing the song?
- How important is the Bossa nova to Brazilian popular culture?
- Vocabulary Worksheet
- Class discussion